Tuesday, May 28, 2019

URL Shortener?

Today, I went to shorten a URL for a Twitter posting that I was making and learned that Google's URL Shortener ceased to exist on March 30, 2019.  Since this was news to me, I thought it might also be news to you and I thought I would share my research on alternatives.

Bitly
With Bitly's free version, suggests a URL but you can customize the shortened URL and allows you to create up to 10,000 shortened URL's per month.  I'm sure that is more than enough for most of us.  The extension usually starts with the code bit.ly.  Often used by business to keep track of times the URL has been clicked.

TinyURL
With TinyURL, will suggest a URL but you can customize it.  The url will begin with tinyurl.com/.  Entirely anonymous with no tracking of the number of times the URL has been clicked.  No limitations on the number of shortened URL's created also the shortened links created never expire.

T2M
Or T2Mio Allows you to shorten your URL and also create a QR code.  Has the ability to check statistics on URL traffic.  But the free version allows for unlimited shortened URL creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any further questions or a suggestion for a later blog?