Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Google Calendar to End SMS Text Messaging

For the last few years, I have used Google Calendar's SMS text messaging to remind me of important events like meetings and appointments.  Receiving these text messages ten minutes before my scheduled events ensures that I am where I am supposed to be when I am supposed to be there.

Today, I logged into my personal Google Calendar to schedule an appointment and was met with the message that Google would be discontinuing the service as of June 27, 2015.  I panicked a little, and clicked on the link for more information.  Here's what I found out.


  1. Google Apps for Education accounts will not be affected by the discontinuation of SMS text messaging.  (At least not yet)
  2. You can continue to receive messages to your smart phones by 
    • Downloading the Google Calendar App on your iPhone or Android phone.
    • Changing your default notifications within this app to notify you.
      Personally, I set my default notification time to 10 minutes before, but this can be set for 30 minutes before, 1 hour before, 1 week before as an email, or set a custom time.
  3. As you set new appointments in Google Calendar select Pop-Up rather than selecting SMS.
While this does not affect Google Calendar for GAFE accounts right now, it may affect it at a later date.   If you would like to read more information about this change, check out Google's information page on SMS Notifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any further questions or a suggestion for a later blog?